"Here are the top 10 things I try to impress upon new runners:
1. If running were easy, everyone would be doing it!
2. Running with friends is cheaper than therapy.
3. Running is recess for adults.
4. Cotton is rotten.
5. Yoga is an excellent companion to one's running regimen- it helps immensely with breathing and stretching.
6. Run safely and defensively: wear reflective gear, let someone know where you are going, carry your cell phone, be aware of your surroundings and always run against traffic.
7. Running is nature's Prozac.
8. You may have to trick yourself out the door, but you will always gain from your run more than you bargained for!
9. Running will improve your outlook on life, your confidence, your relationships with others as well as yourself.
10. Never ever feel your running is a selfish thing because you need to take care of yourself for those that you love. If you happen to be a parent, you are setting a healthy lifestyle example for your children and don't be surprised if they one day decide to join you--Priceless!"
- Robin, Gazelle Sports Birmingham