At Gazelle Sports our core values are Care, Community, Excellence, Learning and Active Living. We reflect on these values to guide our decision making daily- both in times of excitement and growth, and when we are faced with adversity. The unrest within our communities and across the nation have given us pause to reflect further on these values as it relates to diversity, equity and inclusion.
As a result, we have committed to developing a strategy to integrate diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas of our business. Our vision of a diverse and inclusive company and community includes equitable representation of BIPOC, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, and other marginalized groups. We will lean into our value of learning as a first step as we begin this process, and have hired Nicole Parker of ANP Consulting to guide us along this journey.
Cultural and structural shift is hard work, but as runners, walkers, and all-around movers, we know one thing for sure: we can do hard things, and we will continue to stand up for what we believe in.
Here are steps we’ve taken so far:
- Hired a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion consultant to walk alongside us on this journey.
- Launched an internal landing page for our staff to find articles, videos and resources about diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Participated in panel discussions with other community and industry leaders around the importance of creating inclusive, equitable and diverse environments- within our businesses and our movement communities.
- Signed the In Solidarity Outdoor CEO Diversity Pledge and Recreate Responsibly pledge.
- Development of a DEI task force composed of staff members from across the company.
- Hosting mandatory, all staff DEI workshops (late summer / early fall 2021)
- Started a DEI book club for staff.
- Our marketing team has set standards to make sure our marketing is representative of our diverse communities.
- Began an ADA audit on our website.
- Hosted black owned business pop-up shops in our stores and continue to look at how we use our network to amplify the voices of BIPOC businesses and leaders in our community.